Wednesday 26 July 2017

Devastator Squads WIP #4

Final WIP post for my devastator squads: a couple of assembly shots and gearing up the sergeants. At some point when I dig my airbrush out of storage and varnish everything, I'll take some properly 'finished' photos. 


For the heavy weapon dudes themselves, they just need some finishing touches to be considered 'done' - the shoulders have been given a gloss varnish for decals and the now-complete weapons & heads have been superglued into place. Decals, varnish, then done. 


Since the backpack/torso/weapon/arms on heavies are effectively a fixed pose, on 2 of the plasma gunners I've opted to have the head looking over, rather than along the weapon for a bit of variety. This is not an option with the lascannons (since they all have to look down the barrel), but at least the squad is a little more broken up as a result. 



As with my previous tactical sergeants, the arms are magnetised at the shoulder, and for the dev sergeants the backpack is magnetised as well so I can swap for a signum/targeting version instead. 

Set one (bolter & pointing)


Set two (chainsword & bolt pistol)


Detailing the arms and blocking some colour around the banner edges didn't take a huge amount of time; although I often find the last details can take a bit longer than expected as there is always something that needs a wash / dry before continuing. 


The 'optimus prime' helmet above... and close combat loadout below. 

For the one below, the black squad marking decal on the knee *just* fits onto the smaller panel. Since he has a BA backpack banner with the little square piece on it, I tried to replicate a smaller version of the squad marking there too. The creases make it hard to get a smooth curve, and it's... ok... so don't think I'll push my luck trying to redo it any further.



My assault squad still has heaps to go, but as they were base-airbrushed at the same time (including the yellow on sergeant banner) I finished up a 3rd banner pack as well. Likely it won't see much use as I'm expecting jump packs to be the main loadout for the assault guys, but it's good to see more of the company colours coming out. Hand painting black over yellow for the squad marking was easier than the 'wing' marking for the devastators. 



Even with the unfinished sarge in the back... I'm starting to get a sense of how banners on every squad can help tie the army together. 


The only other thing I am still pondering before varnishing is whether or not to try adding some airbrush 'glow' to the plasma & lascannon power coils. The effort could add an awesome effect - but having never done it before, it could be an absolute mini-wrecker if messed up :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment