Thursday, December 8, 2016

Sanguinary Guard statues - painting

Praise the mobile phone for WIP photos... as basic as they are. The guard have been given a moderately heavy drybrush of brass, but trying to leave lots of black shadow throughout. 



Trying out the verdigris technical paint from GW (Nihilakh oxide). This is very liquid and seems to get a decent effect running into the crevices. Strictly speaking it's not how oxides form, but not bad for a quick look on a miniature. 

Sanguinary Guard statues - WIP

These are probably a *little* more original than the road barrier design for scenery - the CNC road boards I'm building have a couple of corner paved areas that have a little circular space and thought they would make a good spot to stick a statue as part of a promenade or similar line.

Scenery: Road Barriers - based on Bugbait_NZ

I started building these quite some time ago, but they have basically been nearing completion on painting so wanted to post the construction first. 


Worth mentioning straight away that these have been blatantly stolen from Bugbait_NZ's awesome scenery blog - link to his Infinity discussion here: http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/15963-bugbaits-terrain-thread/

These are definitely a level below that standard, but ok for my level of skills :-)

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Tactical Squad 1 wrap up

Much to my shame... wrapping up squad with pics that are still on a mobile phone and also with dodgy backing light rather than some lamps. May have to retake these once my DSLR is back up and running. 

2nd squad, 5th Company; designated Nithael. I'm fairly happy with the way the sergeant banner has turned out, along with some of the gold detailing with a reikland wash.  

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Tac Squad WIP #2

Some of the troops starting to come together - still rather crappy quality pics via mobile-phone-on-the-move style shooting... 

Gold and bunch of the details blocked in as well as armour highlights - the raised bolter & bling backpack will end up as the 'corporal' for the 10 man squad, or defacto sergeant if I break them up into 5-man combat squads. 

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Tac Squad WIP #1

Work in progress shots from tactical squad #1 – although I missed photos of a couple of the interim steps before getting to the (mostly) finished armour. Actually, either way - I need to get my DSLR organised rather than just the sneaky camera-phone pics. 

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tactical Squads: Airbrush details

Follow up post... wanted to try out the airbrush on some smaller bits and see how it goes at filling in details rather than just covering the side of a house. 

Tactical Squads: Production line basecoating

Woot - finally getting some mass production underway... I may have gotten a bit carried away with spraying everything and only took a few mid-progress pics. 


Monday, October 17, 2016

5th Company markings & iconography

The 5th Company has some of the obvious elements captured well in the guides/codex - the single black blood drop as the company marking on vehicles, right shoulder armour on troops... and the squad markings are all defined by squad number standard for each company. But for marking up the banners and some of the captain elements, it might be worth pre-planning what to do and where it might be used...

Sunday, October 16, 2016

So very... RED. Experiments in colour schemes.

I always thought white was a horribly frustrating colour when painting masses of Biel Tan armour in the past... add even a little bit of shade and you have to come back with 5-6 thin layers of white to cover the colour or any stray marks. Several experiments in approaches to painting red have just about got me sorted out on the 'recipe' for the 5th company. 




Tuesday, October 11, 2016

1st & 2nd Tacticals: Assembly

Finally getting these all assembled and together... extra detail after jump on how these have come together and some OCD parts management.

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Squad planning OCD

Laying the sprues out, there is plenty of opportunity to mix and match parts between the BA and regular tac squads, along with a few of the legs/arms/shoulders from the command squad so I can then use the more ornate BA pieces for the command squad later on. 

No doubt the later squads will be far less carefully planned out, but planning the combinations of parts for the first couple of squads has been a fun way to start... 


Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Daemonbanes Project: background & unit planning

Not too long ago, I ended up with a copy of the 7th ed Blood Angels codex before an overseas flight and was pretty much instantly inspired to start work on a new BA army. Then spending a few weeks obsessing over what form that might take...