Tuesday 25 July 2017

Devastator Squads WIP #2

These guys were finished up to decal/varnish stage a while ago, but haven't yet posted the WIP pics from my phone. First stage painting doesn't look too different from tactical squads, but worth posting how I went through building these in separate parts to get to the fiddly details... 



This is also the first set I've added the sector imperialis bases to - they came out ok (will need to clean up the side rims), and made it a LOT easier to pin the legs with wire than my tactical troop bases where I had rocks & other bits stuck on first.  








Differences are a little subtle at a distance - the troops on the right have had a couple of thin layers of evil sunz scarlett + then very small edge of panzer aces new wood. The overall effect is a little more... orange... as well as being subtly edge highlighted up close. 



When I was putting these guys together, I wasn't sure if the rules were going to reflect mixed or single-target tactics (ie, can you fire a lascannon at target A and plasma at target B from the same squad). As a result, the 4x lascannons and 4x plasmas each get 2x rounded knee troops (at the front), with squad markings for squad #9 and squad #10 in the company. The other 4 have the flat greaves with no squad markings, and that way I can either mix 2x plasma & 2x las per squad or go 4x same weapon in a single squad. And still maintain my OCD squad markings...


Sergeants starting to get some work - the banner was coloured with airbrush in quarters during the airbrush basecoating stages; a couple of the sergeant arms I did in black primer (along with the dev weapons in general) where black was the big colour. 




Got a little carried away with the parchment on sergeant 2... usually I leave text until the very last thing on a mini, but added some colour with rhinox hide early for this bit. Has come up ok, although I hope to get this finer with some more practice. 


I really like the chest piece on this one - think this might have been from the Baal Predator gunner. Also gives a better idea of the very small impact my highlighting makes... the glossy knee has been ignored (as it will be painted black later) vs the matt finish & slight edge highlight on the other. 


Librarian Ambriel supervising the construction of the fully armed and operational devastator squad. Will follow up this post very soon with the weapon & head details. 





No comments:

Post a Comment