Tuesday 20 February 2018

Dark Imperium: Chaos WIP #1

Yes, it came out ~9 months ago and yes, the Dark Imperium box comes with a lot of very cool stuff... but I've continued to hold off on the Primaris since I have ~40-odd OldMarines in progress and promised to not add more unfinished WIP marines.


However, that doesn't mean I have to hold off on the Chaos side... 

Plus my excuse is that they will also give me some 'baddies' to do some test skirmishes or introduce a couple of family members to a demo. So I bolted together all the marines, characters, poxwalkers and drone... 

That also included the 6 extra push-fit poxwalkers, plus 3 additional Death Guard from the First Strike box. I think the poses for the extras are a bit nicer than the ones from DI.


These guys aren't getting as much love as my Blood Angels - where I am normally very OCD about detailing the bases with bits and pieces and painting/pinning them separately; the Chaos lot just went straight onto the black bases. 

The bases get a few rocks here and there (maybe a couple of bits on the special ones), followed by a layer of PVA and ground coffee. 





Less work on bases plus the mono-pose minis makes this much faster assembly than the ~11 part space marines I've been used to. The poxwalkers in particular are generally 1 or 2 parts... I'm still pedantic about removing mould lines but these are so very quick to get prepped. 

Included in this batch are - 
- 26 poxwalkers (20 from DI plus 6 extra)
- 10 Death guard (7 DI plus 3 from First strike)
- 3 characters
- 1 bloat drone
= 40 miniatures... that is virtually the same as my count of fully completed Blood Angels... assembled in about 1/10th the time :-)

Mass priming: everything from team Chaos gets a black undercoat (of course) with Vallejo primer. 


The Death guard have then had a layer of Death Guard green airbrushed over the top. This took a surprising amount (2-3 coats) to get a smooth finish on most of them, but is still much quicker and smoother than I can get using a brush by hand. 




The plan is to be a little bit rough with painting these - good chance to practice some speed painting (and even try some of the Warhammer TV techniques) without being too worried about the army being as neat as my Blood Angels. 

Adding brass to one fo the Death Guard let me know that it will still take a decent bit of time to get these finished... but if they are a little rough and covered in a healthy amount of agrax earthshade, they won't be too bad on the tabletop standard :-)



Particularly looking forward to trying out some washes with the poxwalkers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment