Tuesday 20 June 2017

8th Edition rants: Part 3 - Ekfud's poor timing on meltaguns (bonus: working on casualties instead)

Apparently my UK ordered copy of the boxed game (and codex/index) will be on my desk at work tomorrow, but in the meantime I've been poking around some of the discussion forums on loadouts and legal unit options. 

Of course - the unit that was my WIP on the workbench is now no longer legal :-(
BA assault are no longer able to take meltaguns. 



After much debate over the loadout for my assault guys, I had decided on the quintessential BA meltacide loadout and added 2x meltaguns to the 10 man squad. They have been sprayed, shaded and the main details picked out. With some edge highlighting still to go I had left the weapons off, and now... probably will keep them off altogether. 

Arguably I could just finish these off and build some spare marines, but part of my OCD batch processing, etc is that I just don't have the spare hobby time to go back and setup the airbrush with 6 steps for the sake of 2 extra marines. I'd almost consider it if that was for a couple of tactical marines but the fact I used the jump pack harnesses means I don't even have the spare parts to make 2 more of these. 

What option should I take?
- a) Stuff it... finish them off and if needs be meltaguns count as chainswords...
- b) Add some extra marines from bits next time working on a tac squad
- c) Prise the arms off these 2 and replace them with Death Co. bolt pistols/chainswords

EDIT: so - turns out you can still issue 1-in-5 assault marines with a flamer in the standard squad loadout, so looks like I'll be substituting those in without having to rip the arms off. 

Grrr... anyway - so in the meantime while pondering what else might crop up to change in the new codex, I used a couple of hours on the weekend to finish up the 3 resin marine casualties I bought ages ago. 




The last of these has had his original head cut away - never understood why, but the model comes with a skull (implying he has been dead for years) whereas you also get a guy who is very much alive and fighting. Made more sense to me that they are 'fresh' casualties.

His replacement head is one of the bald ones (think it came from the standard marine tactical sprue) shaved down at the back to fit into the gap. 

The (almost) finished trio need some company markings on the shoulders (hence the gloss varnish before they go on). 



I'm thinking these need to be a different battle company as objective markers... maybe the white or yellow blood drop for my 5th company to go rescue :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment